Liturgical & Ministry Resources
on Watershed Discipleship:
Prayers & Liturgies
- Water, Holy Water, Earth Day information and sermon starters from Creation Justice Ministries
- Place-Based Resurrection, Luke 24:13-35, James Perkinson
- Watershed Discipleship, John 4:5-14, Ross Smillie
- Pentecost, Ruth 1:11-18, Acts 2:1-12, Sarah Thompson
- Creation Groans: In the snow, the seeds, and our breath, Isaiah 55:10-11, Psalm 65, Romans 8:18-23, Matthew 13: 1-9, Lydia Wylie-Kellermann
- Creation Care 2.0, Romans 8.18-25, Genesis 2.4b-9, 9.8-16, Michael Poulos
Prayers & Liturgical Resources:
- Wild Lectionary, curated by Laurel Dykstra: each week, author-practitioners meditate on the week’s lectionary passage in relation to watershed discipleship.
Books on Watershed Discipleship:
Rewilding the Way: Break Free to Follow an Untamed God, Todd Wynward, Herald Press, 2015
Rooted & Grounded: Essays on Land and Christian Discipleship, eds. Ryan D. Harker and Janeen Bertsche Johnson, Pickwick Publications, 2016. Foreword by Luke Gascho; chapters by: Wilma Bailey, J. Matthew Bonzo, Steve Bouma-Prediger, Nicholas R. Brown, Winn Collier, Ellen F. Davis, Raymond Epp, Ryan D. Harker, Matthew Humphrey, Elaine T. James, Loren L. Johns, Hannah E. Johnson, Ryan M. Juskus, Douglas D. H. Kaufman, S. Roy Kaufman, Richard J. Klinedinst, D. Ezra Miller, Barbara Rossing, Laura Schmidt Roberts, Rebecca Horner Shenton, Nathan T. Stucky, Adam M. L. Tice, and Patricia K. Tull.
Watershed Discipleship: Reinhabiting Bioregional Faith & Practice, ed. Ched Myers, Cascade Books, 2016. Foreword by Denise M. Nadeau; chapters by: Ched Myers, Katerina Friesen, David Pritchett, Jonathan McRay, Lydia Wylie-Kellermann, Erinn Fahey, Sarah Thompson, Matthew Humphrey, Sarah Nolan, Erin Smyth, Reyna Ortega, Sasha Adkins, Tevyn East, and Jay Beck.
Where the Water Goes Around: Beloved Detroit, Bill Wylie-Kellermann, Cascade Books, 2017.
Articles on Watershed Discipleship:
- “A Reflection on Isaiah 5, Ecological Solipsism, and “Watershed Discipleship,” Ched Myers, first published in the Bartimaeus Cooperative Ministries Partners E-News, July 2010.
- “From ‘Creation Care’ to ‘Watershed Discipleship’: Re-Placing Ecological Theology and Practice.” This is an edited and expanded version of a paper given by Ched Myers to the Mennonite Scholars and Friends Section of the AAR/SBL on November 23, 2013 in Baltimore, MD, published in the Conrad Grebel Review, Vol. 32, No. 3, Fall 2014, pp. 250-275.
- In Sojourners Magazine, Ched Myers discusses how Watershed Discipleship invites Christian to “re-inhabit” that corner of creation in which we reside. A Watershed Moment, Sojourners, May. 2014 5pp.
Missio Dei: A Journal of Missional Theology and Praxis issue 5:2 on Watershed Discipleship, August 2014:
Geez Magazine issue on Watershed Discipleship (Spring 2016):
- “Editorial: We are Water, Let’s Swim,” introduction to the issue, Aiden Enns
- “Watershed Discipleship: Re-Imagining Ecological Theology and Practice,” Ched Myers
- “Black to the Land,” Sarah Thompson
- “A Locavore’s Dilemma,” Zoe Matties
- “Fibreshed,” Allison Ellingson
- Print version-only articles in Geez:
- “Watersheds I have Known,” John Terpstra
- “Intimacy of Love and Land: Watershed Discipleship and the Vocation of Marriage,” Erinn Fahey and Lydia Wylie-Kellermann
- “This World is not our Home? Reconsidering what the Bible has to say about Environmental Care,” Nadya Pohran
- “This Earth is Resilient: An Interview with Dan Spencer,” James Wilt
- “Nine Mile Run,” Mark Kramer
- “Public Harmony with Nature,” Todd Wynward
- “Watershed and World,” Jonathan McRay
- “Water Witness,” Bill Wylie-Kellermann
- “New Zealand Watershed,” Manu Caddie
- “Baby Carrots are the New Natural: A Rant in Seven Parts,” Will Braun
- “Some Ethics around Foraging,” Natalie Dyck
- “The Local Marsh is our Classroom,” Leanne Wild
- “Rivers of Deliverance, Rivers of Lament,” Katerina Friesen
- “Doing our Part,” Josina Guess
- “Bonnie’s Ditch,” Tricia Friesen Reed
- “Over Your Dead Body,” Monique Stone
Other articles and reflections:
Audio and Videos on Watershed Discipleship:
Ched Myers speaks about his life and conversion to watershed discipleship at Jesus Radicals conference in 2011: links to Part 1 and Part 2
Lucas Land posted a video of a talk he gave on Watershed Discipleship: An Ethical/Theological Framework at Texas Lutheran University’s Krost Symposium on Environmental Justice on October 16, 2014.
RePlacing Church podcast by Ben Katt interviews Ched Myers on watershed discipleship, April 20, 2017.
The RobCast with Rob Bell interviews Ched Myers on watershed discipleship, May 21, 2017.